To the Editor:[Last month,] there were firecrackers and dragon dances at a ceremony on Maynard. When the firecrackers malfunctioned just a little, a middle-aged man stood too close … and was nearly hurt by the furious finale explosion.
Please remind all such groups that mishaps would spoil the fun for everybody and to think through carefully what happened, so we know what to do if it happens again.
Despite the little scare, everyone ended up laughing when the man brushed ash from his hair, checked himself to make sure he was still there, and said, “I’m OK.”
What fun Chinatown can be! With people sitting high up in the windows looking out and with a crowd of well-wishers on the ground and firecrackers confetti lighting up the streets in flurries of flash and snapping dragons, I was reminded again that there’s no place like home.
Let’s keep safety in mind.
— Mac Crary, Seattle